Indian Stuffed Eggplants
- 1 Onion chopped
- 3 Tbsp. Oil
- 5 Garlic cloves crushed
- 1/2 Cup Dried grated coconut
- 1 Tbsp. Tamarind paste
- 1 Tbsp. Muscovado or brown sugar
- 1 tsp. Ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. Ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. Cayenne or red chili powder
- 1 1/2 inch Ginger grated or juiced
- 1/4 Cup Coriander chopped
- 1 lb. Eggplant
- 1 1/2 oz. Creamed coconut or 1 1/4 cups canned coconut milk
Fry onions in oil till golden. Add garlic, grated coconut, and when lightly colored, add tamarind paste and brown sugar.
Add a few tablespoons of water and cook into a soft paste. Add ground coriander, cumin, salt, cayenne, ginger, and fresh coriander.
Trim ends of eggplants and cut 4 slices lengthwise but not right through so that they do not separate at the stem end. Spread paste into the slits and pack the stuffed eggplants in a pan.
Pour coconut milk over eggplant. Place lid on and simmer for about 60 minutes.