Hamin Toscano con Pomodori e Polpettone - Meat Loaf with Beans and Tomatoes
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1/3 Cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. Tomatoes peeled and chopped, or 14 oz. canned tomatoes
- 10 oz. Dried cannellini or white haricot beans
- 1 lb. Ground beef or veal
- 2 Eggs lightly beaten
- 4 Tbls. Bread crumbs
- 1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
- 4 Tbls. Flat leafed parsley chopped
- Salt and Pepper
Fry onion in 2 tablespoons of oil until soft. Add tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes. Add drained beans, cover with 6 cups of water, simmer, covered, on very low heat for 1.5 hours. Season with salt and pepper.
Mix ground meat in bowl with eggs, bread crumbs, nutmeg, salt, pepper, and parsley. Work into a soft paste with hands. Shape into 2 oval rolls. Roll in flour and brown all over in remaining oil in a frying pan.
Lift rolls out carefully and place in pot with beans. Add water if necessary, cover, and cook for another 40 minutes.. Serve with meat cut in slices.