Egyptian version of Moussaka.
- 2 lbs. Eggplants cut into thin slices
- 2 Onions coarsely chopped
- 4 Garlic cloves crushed
- 2 lbs. Ground lamb or beef
- 1 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. Allspice
- 2 Tbsp. Tomato paste
- 1/2 Cup Flat leafed parsley finely chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs. Tomatoes thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. Sugar to taste
- Salt and pepper
Sprinkle eggplant with salt and leave for an hour to drain.
Pat dry and fry eggplants in hot oil until lightly browned. Drain on paper towels
Fry onions until soft and golden. Add ground meat, spices, salt, and pepper. Add tomato paste and cook for 10 minutes. Add parsley.
.Assemble in baking dish. Arrange eggplant slices, then tomato slices and season with salt. Spread meat on top. Cover with eggplant slices, then tomatoe slices.
Bake uncovered for 30 - 45 minutes at 350°F (180°C).