Sweet and Sour Chicken in Onion Sauce
- 2 lbs. Onions grated or finely chopped
- 4 Tbsp. Oil
- 2-3 Garlic cloves crushed
- 1 inch Ginger juiced or 1 1/2 tsp. grated
- 1 tsp. Turmeric
- 1 tsp. Ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp. Coriander
- 1/4 tsp. Ground cardamom
- Pinch Cayenne or red chili powder
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 3/4 lbs. Chicken fillets breasts and thighs, boneless and skinless
- 1 lb. Tomatoes peeled and chopped
- 2-3 Tbsp. Wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. Sugar to taste
Gently fry onion in oil, covered, stirring occasionally until soft and golden.
Add garlic, ginger, and spice and cook for 5 minutes.
Sauté chicken in pan for 10 minutes, turning over once.
Add tomatoes and simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes until liquid has reduced and a gravy forms.
Stir in vinegar and sugar. Cook for 10 minutes, adjust seasoning, and serve hot with rice.