Cacciucco alla Livornese
- 5 lbs. Assorted fish fillets, steaks, whole fish
- 4 Garlic cloves chopped
- 2 Red or green chiles cut open and seeded
- 4 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 3 lbs. Tomatoes peeled and chopped
- Dry white wine
- 3-4 tsp. Sugar
- 1-2 tsp. Saffron
- 6 Tbsp. Flat leafed parsley chopped
- 8 Slices Bread toasted
- Salt and pepper
Clean and wash fish. Cut larger fish into pieces.
Fry garlic and chiles in oil. Add tomatoes, cook for 10 minutes, add wine, sugar, salt, pepper, and simmer for 30-40 minutes.
Add saffron. Place fish in pan and poach for 10-30 minutes, depending on type and thickness of fish.
Remove chiles, serve in bowls, sprinkle with parsley, and serve with toasted bread.