Harira - Moroccan Bean and Vegetable Soup
- 1 lb. Lamb or beef fatty meat, cut into small cubes.
- 3-4 Marrow bones
- 18 Cups Water
- 1 1/4 Cups Lentils brown or green
- 1 1/4 Cups Chickpeas soaked for at least an hour
- 3 Onions chopped
- 2 Tbls. Oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. Black pepper
- 2 lbs. Tomatoes peeled
- 1/2 tsp. Powerded ginger
- 1/2 tsp. Saffron
- 2/3 Cup Flour
- 4 oz. Vermicelli broken into small pieces
- 1 Cup Parsley finely chopped
- 1 Cup Coriander finely chopped
- 1 Lemon juiced, or to taste
Put meat and bones in large pot, add water, and bring to boil. Remove scum and add lentils and chickpeas.
Fry onions in oil in a frying pan until golden and add to soup. Simmer for 90 minutes, season with salt and lack pepper for another hour.
Blend tomatoes to a cream and pour into soup. Add ginger and saffron and add more water if needed.
Mix flour into paste with cold water and add to soup, stirring vigorously to avoid lumps. Add vermicelli and simmer for 15 minutes. Add parsley, coriander, and lemon juice and cook for a few minutes.