Khoreshte Beh - Quince Stew
- 2 Onions coarsely chopped
- 3 Tbls. Oil
- 2 lbs. Lamb, beef, or veal shoulder or leg, trimmed of fat and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
- 1/2 Cup Yellow split peas soaked for 1 hour
- 2 Quinces ripe, washed, cored, peeled, and cut into thick slices
- 4 Tbls. Lemon juice
- 1 1/2 - 2 Tbls. Sugar to taste
- Salt and pepper
Fry onions in oil until soft, add meat and brown. Season with salt and pepper.
Add water, spices, and simmer for 3-4 hours.
Stir in yellow split peas and add quinces and more water if necessary. Simmer for 30 minutes or until quinces are tender.
Finish with lemon and sugar in the last 15 minutes.