Macalcal or Masala Chicken
Chicken in Coconut Sauce
- 1 lb. Onions coarsely chopped
- 4 Tbsp. Oil
- 6 Garlic cloves crushed
- 2 1/2 inch Ginger grated
- 1 tsp. Turmeric
- 6 Chicken pieces thighs and breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1 lb. Potatoes cut in thick slices
- 3 oz. Creamed coconut diluted in 1/14 cups boiling water
- 3/4 Cup Cashew or split almonds
- 2 Tbsp. Raisins
- Salt and white pepper
Fry onions in oil till soft and golden. Add garlic and cook for a few minutes. Add ginger and turmeric and stir well.
Place chicken in and season with salt and white pepper. Brown both sides and add potatoes, coconut milk, and cover with water.
Add sugar and adjust seasoning. Simmer for 30 - 45 minutes or until chicken and potatoes are tender.
Add nuts and raisins and cook for a few minutes. Serve hot.