The soup to alleviate colds, warm the soul, and comfort hearts.
- 5 lbs Chicken, or a few saved chicken carcasses and giblets.
- 1 Onion quartered
- 2 Carrots cut into large chunks
- 1 Leek
- 1 Turnip cut into large chunks
- 2 Celery Stalks cut into large slices
- 2 sprigs Parsley
- Salt and white pepper to taste
Pur chicken or carcasses/giblets into large pot and cover with water.
Bring to boil and skim away scum.
Add vegetables, parsley, salt, and pepper.
Simmer on low for 2-3 hours, adding more water when needed.
If using a whole chicken, lift out after 1 hour of cooking to remove meat. Return carcass to pot.
Strain broth. Some people like to skim the excess fat off the top. We quite enjoy the extra punch of flavor that the fat offers.
Serve verh hot with vegetables, meat, and your choices of other additions such as pasta, noodles, grains, or dumplings!