We promise to take better photos as we move along and learn!
- 1 Fat chicken(lol) with feet, neck, and giblets
- 4 Carrots Cut into similar sized pieces.
- 4 Leeks Cut into similar sized pieces.
- 2 Onions
- 2 Celery Stalks Cut into similar sized pieces.
- 2 Turnips or Parsnips Quartered
- 4 Cloves
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Sprig Thyme
- Sprig Parsley
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 16 Cups Water
In a large stock pot, put in chicken and parts and cover with water.
Bring to a boil and remove scum
Add washed vegetables, trimmed, peeled, cut up.
Add cloves, herbs, and seasonings and SIMMER GENTLY for at LEAST 1.5hrs or until juices run clear when you pierce thickest part of thigh. Older birds can take +2hrs. Strain about 8-10 cups of stock to make other dishes.
Serve chicken cut up into pieces with the vegetables and a bit of the stock poured over.
It is paramount to make sure all the vegetables are cut up the same size so that cooking times do not vary. Re-season to taste once chicken is cooked.